New industry awards to recognise the 10 best businesses in construction, as voted by the UK Construction Week (UKCW) ‘role models’, were announced at the event.
The UKCW Construction Awards celebrate innovation and excellence among a range of large and small contractors, architects, clients, suppliers and manufacturers serving the industry. The winners were announced by architect George Clarke at the UK construction event, which is now in its fifth year, held at Birmingham’s NEC.
The 10 winners were:
- Contractor of 2019 – Sir Robert McAlpine
- Construction Client of 2019 – Scape Group
- Architectural Practice of 2019 – Grimshaw Architects
- House Builder of 2019 – Swan Housing
- Construction Supplier of 2019 – Ward
- Construction Project of 2019 – Royal Opera House
- Construction Employer of 2019 – Aylaa Exclusive
- Digital Pioneer 2019 – Atkins
- Modern Methods of Construction Pioneer 2019 – Mace
- Product Innovation Award 2019 – Laing O’Rourke for its D-Frame demountable building system
Nathan Garnett, event director at UKCW, said: “We have wanted to host these awards for some time, but this year it was made possible by our industry role models who gave us their very honest and forthright views on who should receive these accolades.
“The businesses chosen as winners from a shortlist of more than 60 companies have convinced the toughest of judges – the people who are part of their delivery partners or supply chains, and the people who are inspiring others to join the construction industry.
“So it is great to be able to recognise the excellence we see all around us in this sector, and the businesses who are forging ahead on innovation despite the climate of uncertainty that is affecting construction so badly. They are beacons of light for the whole sector.”